For Carnival day, nothing like a classic cake from Brazil, the Bolo Formigueiro or Anthill Cake is a delicious cake, the name comes from the sprinkles of chocolate throughout the cake, so when you cut a slice it looks like its full of little ants hehehe.
Its a fantastic cake very common for parties, especially birthday parties and a pretty popular cake also in Portugal, its in its essence a variation of a sponge cake with some coconut and some chocolate sprinkles, so its a moist and easy to bake cake, but also fun ;D
My version just adds a chocolate frosting and some wallnuts just to make it a bit more rich and delicious, also i made this cake for a party with adults so even if i went for a fun cake, i also wanted to make it a bit more special, lets check the recipe!
Brazilian Chocolate Sprinkle Cake • Bolo Formigueiro
Bolo Formigueiro is a traditional type of sponge cake with chocolate shavings or sprinkles scattered throughout the dough. That makes the cake have little spots of chocolate trough the dough, so that's why its called in Portuguese the anthill cake.
- Sugar – 250gr
- Butter – 200gr
- Butter – For Greasing
- Double Cream – 240ml
- Shredded Coconut – 75g
- Eggs – 4
- Flour – 250g
- Flour – To sprinkle
- Baking Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Granulated Chocolate – 100g (Sprinkles)
- Cooking Chocolate – 100g
- Cream – 50ml
- Walnut – For sprinkling (Crushed)
- Start by preheating the oven to 180ºC and prepare a round mold with a removable bottom, grease it with butter, line it with non-stick paper and then grease the paper and flour it again.
- Now start whisking the butter at room temperature with the sugar until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Separate the eggs and add the egg yolks, cream, and coconut, mix again.
- Sieve together the flour and baking powder, and mix well without whisking.
- Separately, whisk the egg whites and fold them into the remaining dough, just fold, don’t whisk.
- Finally, add the chocolate sprinkles and mix them until you get a very thick dough almost similar to a soft cookie dough. Pour the dough into the pan and beat the pan a little so that the dough does not create air bubbles.
- Take it to the preheated oven for about 38 to 40 minutes until it is well baked, as always poke the center with a toothpick if it comes out dry, then it is baked, remove from the oven and let it cool.
- When the cake is warm, you can prepare the chocolate ganache, break the cooking chocolate and add the cream, take it to a water bath (bain-marie) or to the microwave, in the microwave, take it to the maximum temperature for 10 seconds, then remove and stir the mixture, always repeat just 10 seconds at a time until you get a smooth cream (because if you leave it longer without pausing and mixing you risk burning the chocolate).
- Cover the cooled cake with the chocolate and with some chopped walnuts, this amount of chocolate ganache is enough to completely cover the cake, but I prefer a higher layer on top and just let the chocolate drip a little on the sides so you can see the cake and the chocolate looks better, but it’s up to your taste, and that’s it, enjoy and Happy Carnival!
This recipe for Brazilian Chocolate Sprinkle Cake • Bolo Formigueiro was originally created on BakeAfter.com. Esta receita de Bolo Formigueiro com Chocolate e Nozes foi publicada em português no Iguaria.com.
NutritionPer Serving: 378 calories; 24.3 g fat; 37 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein.
Did you try this recipe?
Let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below ;D